“It was midnight, and an almost full moon guided Jake down a road that was as smooth as the eighty cubic inches of pulsating motor that hummed beneath him. He was glad to be back on his Harley, for the vibrations that ran through the handlebars and into his hands gave him the same comfort that a baby gets from a mouthful of mother’s milk.

The wind ran through his hair as he cruised east on the narrow two lane roads of northern Virginia. The sound of the engine and the smell of the road intoxicated him. Comfortable, relaxed, and secure, the smooth asphalt made for a perfect night. Small, quaint villages appeared ahead and disappeared behind like pages in a fairytale book, and before he knew it Jake was countless miles from the beginning of his ride.

The hamlets he passed through sported a mixture of older stores, pre-depression era homes, and the inevitable newer fast food joints. Their lights burned in the night’s darkness as they blended together one after another. The few cars he encountered made for a solo journey that seemed at times to be more like a dream than reality.

Jake’s well worn leathers kept the coolness of the evening air from chilling him to the bone. His feet were glued to the pegs of his big twin, a few scant inches from the blacktop, as he turned north on Highway 301, heading for the Maryland border. As he rumbled down the road lost in thought, his encounter with the patch holders earlier that afternoon was front and center on his mind.”

Chapter 12/Page 32 – One Light Coming: A Biker’s Story (Book 3 in a series published by Blockhead City Press to be released Oct. 1, 2011.)

We all know the feeling. If you ride, no matter what you ride, there is a feeling of freedom, a feeling of power you get from taking control of a motor machine and making it your own. You’re typically on your own, by yourself. You’re so much more connected to the road you’re on, connected to the locales you’re traveling through. You smell the fresh cut grass, that pond that’s just on the other side of the guardrail. You can tell when the farmers have just fertilized their fields and you don’t have to look to know that there are a few horses out in the paddocks either.

I consider myself lucky ’cause I get to experience this every day on the way to and from work, as long as the weather cooperates. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’ve  arrived home soaked to the skin, pouring water out of my boots on more than one occasion because a weatherman said there was only a 30% chance of rain. Of course to me, when I hear 30% chance of rain, I think of 70% chance of sun. If you ride, you would too. It’s all about percentages.

Anyone who rides plays the percentages. And I’m not just talking about the weather, either. Share the road with cagers and you know exactly what I mean. See the statistics, read the newspapers and watch the news and you hear about Bikers going down all the time.

I don’t mind  reading  or hearing about them. I do have sympathy for  them, I really do. But every time I hear about some other biker going down…I figure that improves my chances of not going down. It’s a percentage thing. Think about it.

With this blog, I’ll give you little peaks at my new novel: “One Light Coming: A Biker’s Story” that I co-authored with Edward Winterhalder.  It’s the third in the Biker Story Series published by Blockhead City Press and I hope that you’ll  like them enough to go out and buy the book.

I’ll also be sharing other stories, observations and opinions about this lifestyle we call our own.

So, gas up and follow along. It’s going to be a great ride!!!